[CQ-Contest] [Fwd: Re: Any CT DOS Experts out there]

To: 'CQ-Contest Reflector' <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] [Fwd: Re: Any CT DOS Experts out there]
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:42:55 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: [CQ-Contest] Any CT DOS Experts out there
Date:   Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:42:27 -0400
From:   David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
To:     N6KI Dennis Vernacchia <n6ki_73@sbcglobal.net>

Dennis,

I have yet to see a PCI dual COM port card be able to use both ports to
DOS programs such as CT or NA.  I suspect that this is an IRQ issue.
Most of these cards have a single IRQ shared between both ports, but CT
(actually its COMTSR driver) and NA are both designed to have separate
IRQs for each port.  This cannot be solved in the COMTSR setup; its a
function of the hardware design, and hence the driver as well (which
does the low level work to make a PCI card look somewhat like an ISA
card to the DOS-based program).

I've never had any issues getting DOS software to interface with a PCI
card with a single COM port and the DOS driver.  I have a pair of old
Acer Pentium 200 desktops with a built in COM1, a COM2 hooked to a
hidden modem interface (which I cannot seem to locate on the
motherboard), and a single-COM PCI card as COM3.  COM1 goes to the
serial port network, and COM3 to the radio.  Works FB with both CT-DOS
and NA.

One observation (which might not apply to your situation, but is related
to the topic) is a problem using IRQ2.  On the PC motherboard, there are
one or two IRQ controller chips, each of which control up to 8 different
IRQs.  Very old PCs (pre-286) only had one chip, and so could only
handle IRQ0 thru IRQ7.  IRQ0 and IRQ1 are used by the operating system
itself, while IRQ6 is used by the floppy drive.  With the advent of
80286 and later PCs, a second IRQ controller chip was added, giving
eight additional IRQs; IRQ8 thru IRQ15.  According to the documentation
I have, IRQ8 is the clock/calendar, IRQ13 is the math co-processor and
IRQ14 is the fixed disk drive.

The problem comes that the output of the second IRQ controller is
daisy-chained to the first controller through IRQ2.  Without boring
anyone more than necessary, when an IRQ8-IRQ15 occurs, the 2nd chip
signals the first through IRQ2 which causes the 1st chip to signal the
CPU, and somehow the operating system figures out which IRQ really occurred.

The reason I bring this up is that I've had ISA COM cards which I've set
the dip switches for IRQ2, which could work in one computer, but not in
another (both being 80386 or better machines) with my application
program (CT or NA) set for IRQ2.  When IRQ2 in the software doesn't
work, setting the software for IRQ9 (but the card for IRQ2) usually
works.  This appears to be related to how the BIOS maps the IRQs from
the 2nd chip, and apparently not all BIOSes work the same.

I apologize if I've bored anyone with all of this IRQ junk...

73,

Dave/K8CC