[CQ-Contest] The Fat Lady Sings at 2359Z

To: CQ-Contest eMail Remailer <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] The Fat Lady Sings at 2359Z
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 04:52:05 -0700 (PDT)
Or...whatever time the ARRL HF event is over; which is what is purely stated on
the ARRL website at: http://www.arrl.org/contests/hf-faq.html#post  (thanks to
the off-list note that pointed me to the existence of post-event guidelines for
ARRL HF contests).

There, we find a paragraph that begins by saying, "There are wide ranging
opinions about the acceptability of editing your log after the contest. The
most conservative and always acceptable answer is that no editing of any sort
is permissible."

The paragraph SEEMS to go on to soften this position, however it should be
noted that these additional statements are prefaced by phrases that simply
acknowlede unregulated (and unregulate-able by todays contesting structure)
practices of participants by saying, "Some feel..." and "Most contesters..."
and "Furthermore, it is generally OK..." (where "Some", "Most" and "generally"
are the focus).  The paragraph ends by restating the initial premise saying,
"Once you step over the line into making
changes to what you think you "should" have logged, that's going too
far."

The casual contester (my definition) will find "yeah, but..." loopholes.  The
contesting purist (my definition) will "put the pencil down" because "the test
is over."  It is up to the individual participant to decide which definition
applies to them, since there is no distinction in the results.  This is simply
a matter of honor (like keeping the score in a casual round of golf).

Ev, W2EV