Re: [CQ-Contest] The Fat Lady Sings at 2359Z

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Fat Lady Sings at 2359Z
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 13:44:31 -0700
     For me, it boils down to whether one is changing the content of the
information as logged during the contest, or merely changing the
format/structure/syntax of the information.

     Clearly, taking a TR Log or WriteLog format log file and
converting it to Cabrillo format is not changing the content of the log,
and I wouldn't expect any contester to be required to make that kind of
format change during the contest.  Similarly, if you take notes during
the contest (a la "prev. KL7XXX wkd. was really KL7YYY") changing the
format of that information in the log file (by changing the KL7XXX line
in the log to be KL7YYY and then deleting the note) does not change the
content of information that you logged during the contest.

     What is not ethically permissible is making changes to your log
based on information you gain outside of the contest period, or by some
means other than two-way on-the-air contacts.  The obvious problems are
scrubbing the logs against call book data or 3830 posts or cluster
spots or even by emailing people to "verify" serial numbers (which seems
to still happen even though it is the most obvious way to get caught
cheating).

     How do typos fall into this?  If you notice that one of the lines
in your log is one character too wide and the serial number exchange
is "723w", do you fix it (clearly the serial number is "723" and the "w"
is a spurious character typo resulting from its proximity to the "3" key
on the keyboard) or not?  I would assume that this sort of thing happens
so very rarely nowadays with computer logging that I wouldn't get worked
up about it either way.

Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com
http://www.kenharker.com/