Re: [CQ-Contest] Mini-Spiral Flourescent Lights and Amateur Radio

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Mini-Spiral Flourescent Lights and Amateur Radio
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:33:26 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 08:26:19 -0400, Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
wrote:

>If I bring a small portable radio within
>about 3 feet of my stack of audio/video stuff - nothing exotic - it is
>completely drowned in hash from switching power supplies, etc.

I have several of the little things and my experience is about the
same. The real noisemakers at my QTH are switching power supplies such
as in my TiVO and Dish Network receivers and my TV, which is always on
because of the remote.

My antenna is about 100 feet line of sight from any of them and it
picks up none of this noise at all, but a portable AM broadcast radio
inside the house just gets torn up unless the signals are pretty
strong.

Bill W6WRT