Re: [CQ-Contest] 160 Receiving Antennas

To: D LINDSAY ESVLC EXP LINER MGR <DLindsay.vlc@mscspain.com>,Dale Putnam <daleputnam@hotmail.com>, Tom Taormina <tom@k5rc.cc>,cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 160 Receiving Antennas
From: J F <phriendly1@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 05:45:55 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Duncan and all...

I've used my top loaded 80M verticals for Rx on 160
and have been quite pleased. The S/N ratio is
certainly better that on my top loaded 160M vertical.
No preamp was needed, nor did I match them for 160.
Optimized, probably not, effective without any doubt!

My location is relatively quiet, but I'm in a less
than optimum area for a vertical (poor soil in a
valley).

I think phasing short verticals is a great idea, if
you need the F/B. There are plenty of schemes online
that are easily built.

Most of us probably are unable to put up a respectable
beverage for 160, in any direction much less a good
direction. I'd try a low dipole too, but size is an
issue unless I bend it in several spots or load it.

I'm planning on trying a K9AY this Fall, for
directivity primarily...

Cheers,
Julius
n2wn