[CQ-Contest] SO2R in the CW Sprint

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] SO2R in the CW Sprint
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:55:27 -0700
NS3T writes:

> N4AF gets the 20m frequency and I send NS3T.  He sends me
> my exchange NS3T N4AF 22 Al NC.  As soon as I
> started sending N4AF 11 Jay MD NS3T, I suddenly heard
> CQ NA N4AF on my second radio on 40 meters.
>
> After giving me a dit-dit, N4AF is getting his contact on 40.
> By then, I'm giving up the frequency on 20, and sure enough,
> N4AF then gets back in on that same 20 meter frequency
> and gets another contact.  It's not easy, but SO2R does work
> in the Sprints.

Technically - this would be a rules violation.

> Special QSY Rule: If any station solicits a call (by sending CQ, QRZ?, "going
> up 5 kHz," or any other means of soliciting a response, including completion
> of a QSO where the frequency was inherited), they are permitted to work only
> one station in response to that solicitation. They must thereafter move at
> least 1 kHz before calling another station, or at least 5 kHz before
> soliciting other calls. Once a station is required to QSY, that station is
> not allowed to make another QSO on the vacated frequency until or unless at
> least one subsequent QSO is made on a new frequency.

I will argue that you can't use that 20 meter frequency until the "one
subsequent QSO is made" and it isn't made until it is completed.

And - it is just rude to expect that frequency to be vacant.  I always try
to find a new clear frequency - either above or below the pack - where there
is less chance of stomping on someone I can't hear.

I do find myself at times feeling like we should put a limit on band
changes in the sprint and do away with this two radio stuff.  However,
I don't think enough of the other top ops feel the same way.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net