Re: [CQ-Contest] What to do?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What to do?
From: Steve Harrison <k0xp@dandy.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 04:49:04 +0000
At 07:54 PM 9/21/2007 +0000, kr7x@comcast.net wrote:
>Larry:
>
>Just turn the other antenna in the stack to 90 degrees when you start your
>run to JA. That with some smoke usually keeps them off your back

That's exactly what I used to do when I lived in SoCal. Only had one beam
for the HF bands but built a power splitter using coax and selectively fed
a vertical or dipole with it. Had three Dow Key relays piled together with
PL-259 male-to-male adapters, IIRC, to do all the switching/antler
selection. Later, in Virginia, did the same thing on 80m and 40m with two
crossed inv vees; just one at 750W output was enough to keep a run freq
into Europe on 80 or 40 CW. It came in handy when a VU showed up on 40
about 2-1/2 hours before our sunset; I couldn't hear him at all on the Eu
antler and barely heard him with both antlers combined. Once I switched to
the other one, he was copiable and finally worked him after a few minutes.
In between calling him, I continued CQing on the other radio/antler to keep
the run freq; worked out nicely that one time and made a few more Qs while
off chasing DX  8-)

Steve, K0XP