Re: [CQ-Contest] CWSS and daylight savings time

To: k-zero-hb@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CWSS and daylight savings time
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 18:33:45 -0700 (PDT)
--- K0HB  <k-zero-hb@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Is there any serious Sweepstaker whose station computer clock is set to
> local time?

How serious is serious? I won SS05CW for Eastern Mass, Low Power (unassisted)
using a wire dipole and multi-band vertical. I beat K1XM with his towers and
probably SO2R.  Is that serious enough?

I used Writelog and had my Windows computer set to local time as I have for
many years.

If your software doesn't handle DST transitions correctly, and you have
installed all the required operating system patches, bug the programmer to fix
it, or run different software.  There is no reason anyone should be forced to
set their computer to a particular time zone.  I'll bet some (many?) hams have
a single computer that is shared among a number of tasks (and maybe family
members).  Who wants to switch back-and-forth?

Remember, even CT in DOS has had DST problems in the past.

73 - Jim AD1C