Re: [CQ-Contest] Domestic stations in CQWW

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Domestic stations in CQWW
From: "Dallas and Lucy" <ludal@dmv.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 07:29:51 -0400

> --- Richard DiDonna NN3W <nn3w@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Did anyone else besides him and I notice a marked increase in the number
>> of
>> W/K stations answering domestic CQs this past weekend?  My stateside QSO
>> count went from 152 in 2006 to 231 in 2007.  And that 231 number is the
>> result of the fact that around 1900z I changed my CQ loop message to "CQ
>> countest outside of the United States?"
>
> Just a theory...
>
> When did ARRL add the WAS award to LoTW?  Was it this year?
>
> Contesters can be good electronic QSLers.  Maybe people are taking
> advantage of
> this as a short cut to ragchews and collecting cards for their WAS award.
>
> 73 - Jim AD1C

This topic has been discussed before by some very prominent contesters, with
varied takes on cause and effect.  I have, in the past few days, received
several "need for WAS" cards as a result of domestic contacts in CQWW.  Our
M/M operating policy is to log all QSO's and not to voice any displeasure
about domestic Q's.  One chap called me 3 times on 20m within a particularly
slow period, and I gave him a report each time, only indicating on the last
QSO that we had worked before.  My feeling was that he was trying to help
and have fun.  This is actually a healthy thing for contesting and should
not be discouraged.  If these operators have fun, or are able to pad their
WAS totals by a bunch of friendly, receptive contesters, some might just
figure out what contesting is all about and join the fun next time.  That's
a good thing.

73, Dallas