Re: [CQ-Contest] Directed CQ (was SS Reminders)

To: William Q Meeker <wqmeeker@iastate.edu>,cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Directed CQ (was SS Reminders)
From: PAUL PIERCEY <p.piercey@nl.rogers.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 13:55:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: William Q Meeker <wqmeeker@iastate.edu>
To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Sent: Saturday, November 3, 2007 3:51:50 PM
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Directed CQ (was SS Reminders)

>Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 13:11:02 -0600
>From: Ken Adams K5KA <k5ka@earthlink.net>
>Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS Reminders
>To: cq-contest@contesting.com
>

> > What if I'm calling "CQ VY1" and someone answers "VY1JA is at 14.005", am I
> > now "assisted"?
> >

>The key thing to ask yourself is "Am I receiving assistance from another
>human?".  If you call CQ for VY1 you might get lucky and have J call
>in.  If someone else tells you J is on 14.005 then you have a moral
>decision to make, as to whether or not you will act on this information.
>73, Ken K5KA

A reasonably likely event is that some one calling "CQ ND" repeatedly would
eventually be spotted as "begging for ND" with a casual ND operator then
providing the contact. Seems to me like receiving assistance from a human
after asking for assistance. Assisted class?

Bill
K0KT

No. I can call "CQ ND" for the entire contest and work only stations from ND.
There is nothing in the rules that states I have to use general calls and can't
direct my calls to those whom I want to work. If someone wants to help me out
by sending a ND station my way (by way of the cluster or telling them
directly), then that's their own choice. I never expect help from the
competition.

73 -- Paul VO1HE