Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ Contest and ARRL DX contest categories

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ Contest and ARRL DX contest categories
From: "Eric Hilding" <b38@hilding.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 11:49:47 -0800
Rich, NN3W, wrote:

Ø  > ? It might help generate some activity.

Interesting you bring this up.  Just yesterday I was thinking there should
maybe be a 160/80/40m mix category and a 20/15/10m mix one.

Why?

A lot of CC&R?d folks with 20/15/10m capability but squat on the low bands
might give a more all-out effort which would mean more QSOs for everyone on
those bands.  Some of the low-band only ops might  do the same in their
nitch vs. only doing a single band entry.

I?ve said this before - what will bring more activity is a 36 out of 48 hour
category.  The stats are clear?only a handful of single ops go 40 to 48
hours.  Too many OF?s aren?t willing to try to put in 40 to 48 hours, and
without hopes of winning any paper or wood, put in way less hours than they
might be willing to s-t-r-e-t-c-h for with the right carrot(s) dangling.
And, those now doing single band entries only for some of the same reasons,
might switch to all band efforts.  It?s all a win-win situation.  Some may
remember even D4B endorsed this concept.

As each year goes by and more participants become SK or for health reasons
put in less hours (or don?t operate), the handwriting is on the wall.  IMHO,
let the die-hards & Multis keep the 48 hour SuperOp/SuperStation category,
but give the rest of us pikers a meaningful competitive health-friendly
venue.

RE: KL2A?s SO1R pitch, my firm belief remains that SO1R & SO2R should be a
separate categories.  In this age of computerization, scoring and publishing
of results can be substantially automated.  To put my $$$ where my mouth is,
I will pop for a year?s NCJ Subscription to the Top SO1R scorer in Jon?s
little SO1R Contest-Within-A-Contest program (as long as Jon does the
tabulations and sends me the Winner?s info).

FWIW & 73?

Rick, K6VVA\