Re: [CQ-Contest] [Fwd: Contest Loggers to reduce cheating]

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [Fwd: Contest Loggers to reduce cheating]
From: Mike Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:02:14 -0500
On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 10:19 -0700, David Gilbert wrote:
> You wrote this tongue in cheek, right?  Because otherwise, this is a
> good example of the kind of thing that in industry gives engineers a bad
> reputation for wasting a lot of effort creating complexity that causes
> greater problems than the one it was intended to fix.

While we're at it, why not have the logging program automatically
encrypt the log with an encryption key that only the sponsor has, and
automatically email the log within 1 minute of the end of the contest.
The cheater...erm contester cannot access the log at all.

        (with tongue firmly in cheek)

Now back to real life, I think that with all the hubub, we have seen a
very ugly possible future for contesting, a future in which the
assumption is that you the contester, are not a trustworthy person, and
that many levels of detection are needed to ensure that you do not
cheat. It is a future in which I think that I'd just as soon chase DX or
ragchew I certainly wouldn't be involved in such an adversarial
relationship.

        - 73 de Mike N3LI -