[CQ-Contest] Contesting and cheating

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and cheating
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 18:12:05 -0600
It seems to me that some of the cures suggested for cheating are worse than
the disease.

Contest software that self-destructs? Is this Mission Impossible?
Clandestine receiving stations around the world? What, the cold war of
contesting?

Really. Some of this stuff is approaching the hyperbole and hysteria
surrounding some of the great social engineering blunders in history: Reefer
Madness, Prohibition, the Crusades. All in the name of what, making sure
that 10,852nd position is awarded fairly?

Yes, logs at the top of meaningful distinctions (Top US, Top DX, Top Asia,
etc.) probably could use some more scrutiny. But I have yet to see evidence
that what we require is a total, authoritarian, Big Brother crackdown on
everybody.

All in the name of probably the least abused form of cheating there is.

73, kelly
ve4xt