Re: [CQ-Contest] Kenwood for Contesting

To: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Kenwood for Contesting
From: "Dennis Vernacchia" <n6ki73@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 17:54:06 -0800
A TS-950SDX is no slouch of a rig and Kenwood's last rig before putting out
a bunch of
inferior rigs like the TS-2000 and TS-870

So it and it's baby brother the TS-850 continue to be good rigs.

The only 2 rigs I have had in my shack recently that beat out my TS-950SDX
are the Yaesu FT-1000D and the Icom IC-7800 an d I am awaiting to see how a
Elecraft K3
does in next 3 months if they can ever stop slipping their schedule.

I have operated and am not impressed with the FT-1000MP or it's newer
brothers teh Mark V Field
though one is splitting hairs in comparing those.

Kenwood at some point just decided to go after a different market
whereas Yaesu. ICOM and Ten-Tec and Now Elecraft are forging ahead.

I don't know what impact Chip Margelli leaving Yaesu might have on their
future contest rigs,
but it;s coincidently interesting that he left just about the time Yaesu
released the FT-2000 and 9000 series rigs which have had a poor reliability
issue
and I haven't heard anyone rushing out to get either of those rigs as
replacements for their Mark Vs or FT-1000Ds

Years ago when the first MPs came out a bunch of people jumped on them then
bailed shortly after and went back
to their Venerable FT-1000Ds

My personal preference right now is the FT-1000D ob CW and the Kenwood
TS-950SDX on SSB.
( Kenwood has always excelled in transmit and receive audio and continue to
this date )

It will be interesting to see what a fully loaded K3 will do against my
current rigs and those I have had
experience using on DX-pedition's or guest operating Multis )

73 Dennis N6KI