Re: [CQ-Contest] Kenwood for Contesting

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Kenwood for Contesting
From: "Eric Hilding" <b38@hilding.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 15:07:57 -0800
Bob, AD5VJ, inquired:

>Would any of you guys consider any  Kenwood model of Contest quality?

I have been using Kenwood TS-480 rigs for several years now.  The RX is
better than my TS-870's (2 are still sitting on the floor).

Since I also do portable operating (CQP, IOTA expeditions, some mobile,
etc.), they work fine and are much easier to haul around than larger boat
anchor rigs.  I use two TS-480's for SO2R (although presently SO1R until I
hook up another one of my TS-480's again).  The footprint on the desk for
two TS-480 control heads side-by-side is much smaller than traditional TXRX
units,  which also reduces eye and hand movement while contest operating.
The display in the TS-480 is Stellar, and being able to angle the control
head to fit individual operating Ergonomic preferences was very important to
me, and a primary buying decision.  I now have 4 of these rigs, the first
one purchased new, the others used.

Kicking in the NR2 button during the ARRL SS while operating as KL8C sure
helped pull a lot of weak LP/QRP East Coast stations out of the mud.  It's a
big ringy, but what the heck.

On the other hand, if you're in an area with a lot of strong local contester
signals, you may get hammered with a TS-480 vs. having an FT-x000 loaded
with INRAD filters.

73.

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust