[CQ-Contest] 4 Square/ Raised Radial Questions

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] 4 Square/ Raised Radial Questions
From: "Robert Shohet" <kq2m@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 08:19:34 -0500
Hi,

I am in the process of fixing my 80 meter 4-square and
have some questions regarding raised radials.

1) Since my 4 square is "cut" for 3.65 and the radials need
to work on 3.5 as well as 3.8mhz, do I cut the radials
for 3.5 mhz with the thought that slightly too long (for 3.8 mhz)
is ok?

2) What is the correct formula for use with raised radials:

Is it 246/f or 234/f?

3) The radials are all pvc coated.  In theory this adds
2-5% length to the radial or lowers the resonant freq.
by 2-5%.  Any actual experience to confirm this?

4) If I use 3 - 4 radials on each of the four "legs",
does it matter how I orient the radials?  Or, put
another way, if I am putting up radials for the SW leg,
do I want to orient the radials only in the S, SW and W
direction for that leg, or do I want to orient them
S, N, E and W?

5) I am using Seven 31 material ferrites at the feedpoint
of each "leg".  The ferrites raise the resonant freq.
of the 1/4 wavelength coax about 20 khz as measured with
the MFJ 269.  Should I cut for the resonant freq. WITH
the ferrites already in place, or should I cut and tune
before I put the ferrites on and then live with the change
in resonant freq.?

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences on this.

Tnx & 73,

Bob KQ2M
kq2m@earthlink.net