Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer

To: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer
From: "Gerry Hull" <gerry.hull@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 21:14:32 -0500
And so what, Jim?   Just like packet spots, you use your knowledge and skill
and ears to determine if what is decoded/transmitted makes sense.

Skimmer, or technologies like it,  are just a tool in the bag of radio
contester's tool set.  Computers and software by themselves are NEVER going
to replace  a good human running it all.   However, innovation will
continue, and  radio, as we know it, will continue to evolve, with
humans driving it all.

73, Gerry W1VE

On Feb 6, 2008 4:45 PM, <Jimk8mr@aol.com> wrote:

> What information is a Skimmer going to put into a band map?  Any  callsign
> it
> hears? A callsign with "TEST" appended? A callsign involved with an
> apparently completed QSO?
>
> I can imagine vigilantes/protectors of the sport (pick your choice)
>  dropping
> a few choice calls into the ionosphere, daring a Skimmer to put it
> unattended into a band map.
>

> 73  -  Jim   K8MR
>

> **************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.
> (