Re: [CQ-Contest] Prefixes in WPX

To: "CQ-Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Prefixes in WPX
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 17:05:21 -0600
Renegotiating or amending a signed treaty is never going to happen because
amateur radio is pretty low on the priority list for the governments.  Yes,
I know, what are they thinking?

What I have suggested instead is a memorandum of agreement between Industrie
Canada and the FCC that says, "For the purposes of satisfying the
requirement of [formal treaty designation], it shall be acceptable to
precede the operator call sign with the location designator."

This is a much simpler thing than amending the treaty - it is just a letter
exchanged between the two entities.  I am not holding my breath that it will
happen.  Industrie Canada and the FCC could also release their own letters
independently, but I believe that in the case of a two-party agreement, both
must formally agree.

73, Ward N0AX