Re: [CQ-Contest] self spotting

To: "Rick Dougherty NQ4I" <nq4i@contesting.com>, "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] self spotting
From: Steve Harrison <k0xp@dandy.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 13:26:16 +0000
At 09:38 AM 2/17/2008 -0500, Ron Notarius W3WN wrote:
>You have expressed this directly to the sender, haven't you?  [And what is
>"the full wrath," anyway?  DQ?]
>
>Frankly, under these circumstances, one would think that an email like this
>sent to a less than ethical M/S or M/M operator (and I'm speaking generally,
>not specifically about you Rick), the temptation would be there to
>"accidentally" leave the offending operator off of the official list.  After
>all, if you're already implicated in one infraction -- and one that you're
>guilty of -- what's one more?

Hold it, hold it:

Rick, consider the possibility that the e-mail you received is NOT from
whom it claimed, but someone else with a grudge, attempting to get you all
hot under the collar.

The thing to do is forward that e-mail, complete with ALL the headers, to
the Contest Branch and ask them to confirm it actually came from them.

My betting is it did NOT: instead, it's from someone else trying to
intimidate you and your team, most likely with some sort of grudge against
you.

It's hard to believe that ANY member of the ARRL Contest Branch would have
resorted to such an e-mail, particularly while the contest is still
on-going. I would think they would, instead, have waited until AFTER the
contest or, at the very least, given you a phone call.

This smacks of some sort of "retaliation" tactic by someone with a grudge
against your operation, not any kind of "official" ARRL Contest Branch
official's "warning".

Steve, K0XP