Re: [CQ-Contest] Open Letter to CAC

To: "CQ Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Open Letter to CAC
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 00:17:06 -0500
No.

Improving and fixing are two different things.  IMHO.

Both are tinkering.  One to make it better.  One to fix a mistake or error
or major problem.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" means don't fix it, not don't improve it.

The proposal is to take a meaningful exchange, one that requires the
receiving station to pay attention, and change it to a simpler one that has
less meaning, one that it is all too easy to fake.  And why?  Because one or
two stations abused cut numbers in the last contest?

What's "broken" is that we have operators who don't know what they're doing.
So what we "fix" is trying to educate said operators on the nuances of the
contest in question.  Not, you should pardon the expression, dumb down the
contest exchange so that the operators don't have to bother to know what
they are doing.

So within this context, I stand by my comment.  Not fixing what isn't broken
is not being complacent... it is, instead, not reacting improperly with the
wrong solution to the wrong perceived problem.