Re: [CQ-Contest] Open Letter to CAC

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Open Letter to CAC
From: "W4ZW" <w4zw@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:50:34 -0500
the lack of reasonable periodic ID is
>  one of the most frustrating things. Of course, if
> everyone is using packet and/or a skimmer, it is less
> of an issue. Those folks already know the call, else
> they wouldn't be showing up and calling blindly would
> they???

Judging from all the busted spots I saw, a lot of logs are going to have
busted Q's if they just pointed, clicked, and logged.

The absence of a definitive statement about cut numbers  on behalf of a
contest sponsor injects confusion into what should be a simple rule.  A
simple statement of allowable "cut numbers", i.e. "N"  for 9, "T" for zero,
and K or KW is all that's needed.  I expect that the log checking software
is set up to automatically allow "K" or "KW".  I doubt it going to like ETT
or UTT that I heard this last weekend.

Dear ARRL, we need some definitive statement about what is allowable and how
the log checking software will handle this.  Will the checker bust a Q if we
log it "NN" or "ETT"?

This whole thing is a tempest in a teapot though, I expect all of us
correctly decrypted the "cuts" and made the correct numerical entries.

BTW, I like the exchange as it is, just a little guidance on cut numbers is
needed.

My 2 cents.

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, Florida
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
8:47 PM