Re: [CQ-Contest] arrl dx ssb spotting report

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] arrl dx ssb spotting report
From: Fabian Kurz <mail@fkurz.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 23:23:43 +0100
On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 09:24:20PM -0800, Rich Hallman - N7TR wrote:
> This is interesting....
>
> N7TR  21285   CX9DX                   190.132.129.239
>
> I actually made this spot from my cluster (dxc.n7tr.com) ...But is
> showing up here as originating from another IP.  Relay?

I can't tell about this particular spot, but such things commonly
happen. The whole cluster network is not to be trusted.

As an example, I noticed that DX spots made via the IRC interface of
OH2AQ show up with a _random_ IP address of a _previous_ spotter on
the "Originating Spots" website. This could easily lead to false
accusations, and (although most selfspotters don't seem to care to
hide their identitiy anyway) is a great way to send spots anonymously.

It's quite a mystery to me why OH2AQ doesn't employ some simple
means to do something against the constant abuse of the DX cluster
network through their web/irc interfaces.

Fabian Kurz, DJ1YFK * Dresden, Germany * http://fkurz.net/