Re: [CQ-Contest] Get out of jail free card

To: <wn3vaw@verizon.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Get out of jail free card
From: "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 08:51:09 -0700
You caught me.

I would argue that memory keyers and computer logging programs (and SO2R)
are technical developments that have changed contesting forever. These
developments were not universally embraced at the time of introduction. The
same "this will ruin contesting forever" arguments were voiced.

Your argument about paper logs is exactly how I feel.  You want to paper log
and paper dupe? Go for it!  You want to operate only with a manual key?  Go
for it!  You want to use (or not use) CWSkimmer? Go for it!

I agree with you that proposed rules requiring recording go way too far.

Not every technological advance requires a category change or a rule
prohibiting its use because it's a disruptive change.  Some disruptive
changes are good for a competitive hobby that advances the art.  Some
changes really do require rule changes.

The debate is healthy.  I agree that this technology has the potential to be
disruptive.

I just don't want to too quickly jump onto the "let's outlaw this" bandwagon
just because it's disruptive.  One man's "operating aid" is another's "this
will ruin contesting and should be disallowed".

73 de Dick, K6KR