Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer test to shut down

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer test to shut down
From: Kevin Stockton <n5dx2005@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 06:22:42 -0700 (PDT)
I was hoping someone would bring this up.  I've emailed the Russian DX
committee a couple of times, but never received a response.  Is it a sure thing
that Skimmer is allowed during the Russian contest this weekend?  It seems like
one or both of the following rules could prohibit its use:

5.1 Transmitters and receivers must be located within a 500 meter diameter
circle. All antennas used by an  entrant must be physically connected  to the
transmitters by wires (feeders).

5.1.3 Using any IP net for the remote transceiving, including web radiostations
is unsportsmanlike and the entry  is subject to disqualification.

There will be a lot of people that would like to use N4ZR's setup on their own
CQ frequency to copy people they wouldn't be able to copy at their own QTH.
Not much different than using a remote receiver, in fact it is more
advantageous than  a remote receiver.

A clarification on this rule would be nice.

73
Kevin, N5DX
Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> wrote: It appears that interest in the
Skimmer/Telnet test has pretty much tapered
off, so I will probably shut it down after this weekend.  I do want to see
how it does with the heavy volume of a busy contest, so if you are
interested I encourage you to log on during the contest so we get a maximum
number of simultaneous connections.  Since this contest does not
distinguish between packet and non-packet, there should be no rules-related
controversy over receiving Skimmer spots if you are in the contest.

Again, the telnet address - just enter it in your packet software - is
24.126.38.27:7300

73, Pete N4ZR