Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer test to shut down

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer test to shut down
From: "Eric Hilding" <b38@hilding.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:12:10 -0700
Pete, N4ZR, wrote:

>> It appears that interest in the Skimmer/Telnet test has pretty much
>> tapered
>> off, so I will probably shut it down after this weekend.

Hank, K8DD, replied:

>That's because everyone is talking about it here, what they think it is and
>will do and not trying it.

I decided to give the Skimmer test a go before Pete pulled the plug.
Following Pete's instructions, I connected to the packet Telnet address,
opened a Bandmap window in WriteLog, and proceeded to independently
auto-call CQ TEST K6VVA on 14.030.5 (after a QRL? with no response, of
course).

When I did a SH/DX in the packet window, up came an entry with my call and
frequency and a note that I was CQ'ing.  The bandmap was also populated with
my call on that frequency.

The Skimmer is Amazing --- and SCARY, considering the probability that more
sophisticated Skimmer widget are in constant use by the CIA, et.al. on all
of our personal email, phone, text messages, etc.

Besides giving Contest Cheaters another tool, this takes us one step closer
to full-blown RoboContesting.  If someone resurrects that auto-QSO program
used years ago and adds a bit more artificial intelligence (so it can search
for clear run frequencies, makde band change decisions, etc. and interface
with the Skimmer), RoboContesting offers a brand new Contesting
Sub-Industry.  And, of course, an opportunity for the various AI software
versions to b*tch at each other in post-event (Robo) discussion forums.  All
this while the station owner gets to sleep, drink beer, have a BBQ with
neighbors in the backyard or attend some other social event (with some type
of rig-monitoring alert system that calls his cell phone if a problem
occurs).

RoboContesting) --- it's the way of the future!

FYI, as of 0407 UTC 3/15/08, the robocontesting.com domain name is
available.  I'd add it to my domain stable here, but I have too many
incomplete projects to work on over the next 5 years. Go-For-It, somebody!

73.

Rick, K6VVA