[CQ-Contest] Skimmer vs humans in KCDXC pileup competition

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer vs humans in KCDXC pileup competition
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 11:27:09 -0400
For those who are curious, I just did a series of Skimmer runs against the
1999 KCDXC pileup recording.  The human winner that year was W9WI with 71
calls;  The median score was 38. Skimmer counted 36-7, depending on the
run, but by design it only counts and lists those that it hears twice
identically ("verified calls").  Watching the Skimmer bandmap and the
decoder row below the waterfall, I counted at least 20 more callsigns that
it properly decoded but did not count because it only heard them once.

If all of those were correct, and there were no busts on the ones it heard
twice, then it would have placed 7th or 8th.  Not bad.

73, Pete N4ZR