Re: [CQ-Contest] RTTY replace CW contesting??

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RTTY replace CW contesting??
From: "Vladimir Sidorov" <vs_otw@rogers.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:47:32 -0500

> If that happens, better replace me, then.  I haven't done a lot of
> RTTY contest (probably still less than 2k QSO's in RTTY contests).
>
> I spent a couple of hours last weekend in BARTG.
>
> Punching a couple of buttons was not really my idea of contesting.
> Sure, I had to tune for a new station.  But, once I found him and
> clicked my Call button and he recognized me and sent his exchange, I
> clicked my exchange button to him, it was done.
>
> CQ runs were even less energetic:  Call CQ.  Click on a highlighted
> callsign.  Send Exchange.  Software recognizes serial number and time
> received and logs it.  Send TU button.  Yawn.
>
> I felt more like an observer than a participant.
>
> Give me CW any day.
>
> 73,
> dale, kg5u

Dale,

You are not the first one with such suggestions. Having seen things like
that I decided another day to try to fight such opinions and ended up with
an article which has been published by several amateur magazines in
2003-2007. You may wish to check it up at http://ve3iae.bravehost.com/RY.htm
.  The first paragraphs are just like a reaction to your words, but it was
written in 2003. Please also check the very last paragraph of the text.

Thanks and 73,

Vladimir VE3IAE, EU1SA