[CQ-Contest] Contest Cheating

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest Cheating
From: ku8e@bellsouth.net
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:59:09 +0000
  It seems lately we are hearing more about cheating going in contesting. The
competition (especially in the eastern EU counties and Russia) is cutthroat.
Many operators are trying to find a way to gain an advantage anyway that they
can even if they have to resort to flat out cheating. Much of this is driven by
the fact that the stakes are higher than in the past because these stations are
trying to qualify for WRTC.

See http://wrtc.radio-sport.net/dq1.htm

In the case of 4O3A, it is spelled out pretty clearly in the rules that the RST
is part of the exchange. If you don't give it then you didn't follow the
published rules and you should be penalized in some matter. I think Steve,
N2IC, was right on with his comments. Maybe Ranko should not submit his log
because if he is DQ'ed then he would be ineligible to submit a log for next
years contest. He should just chauk it up to an error in judgement and move on.
This would be the honorable thing to do and would be much better than being
DQed and losing respect plus gaining a reputation with your contesting peers as
being a cheater.
During this weekend I heard stations who didn't give their call signs for a
long period of time or ask
someone to spot them on packet. Plus there are stations who are operating a
certain category during the contest and the switch to another when they see the
3830 postings. These are disturbing trends that the contest sponsors also need
to address.

BTW.. I have never seen a QSO removed from my log (looking at my UBN) for an
incorrect RST.
I doubt the log checking programs even check this.

Jeff , KU8E