Re: [CQ-Contest] QSL info

To: Badge42@aol.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QSL info
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 20:02:32 EDT

In a message dated 3/31/2008 5:15:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Badge42@aol.com writes:
I really like contesting and have been doing it only  about 8 months.
Several
questions have occurred with me:

(1) If  I have worked a station during another QSO/contest, and I work him
again in another contest, do I send another QSL card, if not, how to advise
that
QSO station of another contact?

Send him another card if you want a card back for that QSO.

Nearly all contest stations are not much interested in receiving QSL  cards,
especially for QSOs from places and on bands that are not rare.  But  most
guys will answer cards received as a courtesy to those who do want a card
enough
to have sent a card to him.

A few big stations send out cards to  everybody, so they can ignore with good
conscience those cards that then come in  later.

=====================

(2) How does a QSO station know,  immediately, that he and I have worked
each
before. This past weekend,  I answered a CQ, and the operator immediately
said "we have worked  before".
-----------------------------------

The computer told  him.  As soon as he types in your call, a message pops up
if you had  already worked him on that band.

Most serious contesters consider it not  the best practice to say "we have
worked before".  It usually takes no more  time to work a guy again, and if
there was some foulup on the first QSO attempt,  that QSO might not be in the
little guys log and therefore would be deleted from  the big guy's log when it
is
checked.

In the days of old, when paper logs  were used, there were penalties for
leaving "dupes" in a log.  Today with  computer logs and computer log checking,
there is no penalty, the second qso  just does not get counted. So don't feel
bad if you inadvertently call  somebody a second time.

============================

(3)  If I log a station on Zulu time of 0001Z, does it count as a QSO on the

next day, or do I use the calendar day I'm on?

Use the next day - i.e. the day it has just become in  London.

73's, and tnx to  anyone answering these questions. John  WA6PHJ

You're welcome  John.  It's a refreshing change to help out a new guy,
compared to debating  how many angels it takes to say "five-nine" while dancing
on
the head of a  pin.

73  -  Jim   K8MR

Home.