Re: [CQ-Contest] More Cheating

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] More Cheating
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 21:02:02 -0400
Some will always cheat, regardless.

Some will "push the envelope" trying to bend -- but not break -- the rules
as much as possible.  Whether or not this is technically considered
"cheating" might depend on the circumstances, and is open to debate.

As technology improves, some who were tempted but never had the nerve will
try it.  Some get away with it, some won't.

Some may be tempted but will resist the temptation for any of a number of
reasons, including the simple fact that it is wrong and unethical.

Some will never be tempted.

How many are "some"?  'Aye, there's the rub.'

The problem is not that there are cheaters.  The problem is that measures
that already exist to detect and catch (or at least suspect) them are not
fully utilized, if utilized at all.  There's always the fear of law suits,
slander or libel (depending on the media used), and of accidentally tar &
feathering the truly innocent.  So often, only the most blatant get caught.

I haven't had a chance to read May QST yet (that's the trouble with the
wife's new job, she now commutes at the same time as I do, so there goes
reading time on the "T" trolley car) so I don't know if the stations
referred to in Doug's message are identified.

THEY SHOULD BE.

If they are truly innocent, then they have nothing to worry about.  But if
the allegation is true (and I strongly suspect it must be in enough cases to
make it worth mentioning) then those caught deserve to be publicly outed and
punished accordingly, both according to the contest rules and to peer
pressure.

In short:  Employ the tools, techniques, and measures already at hand,
before imposing draconian measures that deter the honest and innocent from
participating from fear of the dishonest and guilty.

Otherwise, what was a small problem will continue to grow until it is the
big problem that Doug fears it already is.

73