Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>, CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer
From: Julius Fazekas <phriendly1@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:48:54 -0700 (PDT)
This may be true SO2R, but one would be hard pressed
to give up a good run frequency SO1R for a possible
multiplier. You're just as likely to pick up the odd
multiplier running... Maybe it's different running HP
versus running LP or QRP.

I don't see where a station would pick up any real
benefit against a well located elite station with the
same technology. I do see where it would be an
advantage if you're running 20 and watching say 10 and
it opens to, well anywhere but the US ;o) Great for
SO2R, but not SO1R...

Based on what happens in DX contests now, I would
think that skimmer based pileups would be pretty
gnarly...

--- "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com> wrote:

> > If everyone is allowed to use skimmer, how would
> that
> > change the status quo. The elite stations in the
> best
> > locations would have the same tool, with the same
> > advantage they had before. To me all this does is
> > raise the cost for the little guy.
>
> The significant advantage of Skimmer - particularly
> in a
> DX contest, will be to narrow the significant
> multiplier
> advantage of those in favored locations.  It will
> allow
> the "disadvantaged" stations to find those
> relatively
> rare multipliers with short openings that might
> otherwise
> be missed due to a focus on rate.

Julius Fazekas
N2WN