Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

To: "'Scott Robbins'" <w4pa@yahoo.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 19:33:02 -0400

> There are no technology differences between the single op
> unassisted and single op assisted categories with one
> exception: the delivery of callsigns and frequencies from an
> outside source as used in the assisted category.  Whether
> that happens via packet radio/net connection or via a piece
> of computer software connected to a receiver is irrelevant.

You're correct there is no technological difference between
assisted and unassisted - the difference it that another PERSON
is providing the information in the assisted class.

Where the information comes from hardware/software in my own
shack, it is no different than the use of a panadapter and/or
one/five/seven channel decoder in WriteLog.

I am not advocating for unlimited use of networked skimmers
in multiple locations any more that I am advocating that
single operators be allowed to use remote transmitters or
receivers.  However, as long as the technology is located
in the 500 foot/meter circle with the rest of the station
hardware it does not constitute "assistance" under any
reasonable definition of assistance.  Assistance has always
meant the contribution of ANOTHER PERSON whether it be on
site (multi-operator) or remote (packet/internet/etc.).

To modify the definition of assistance to include technology
at this point would require a reexamination of all technology
that permits a single operator to be more efficient (memory
keyers, computer logging, real time propagation software,
etc.) or more accurate ("history files," SCP databases, etc.
produced by other individuals).  Once could easily argue
that history files - since they relieve the operator of the
need to copy the exchange - are every bit as much assistance
as alleged against skimmer.