[CQ-Contest] Skimmer

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer
From: Stan Stockton <k5go@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 20:09:28 -0400
This is just my opinion.  I realize others have
opinions that differ and I respect the right of
others to have a differing opinion.

After all this debate regarding Skimmer, and after
initially thinking it would be okay in the assisted
category, I have changed my mind regarding this
technology.  I think Skimmer should not be allowed
at all in ANY category of CW Contesting.

Some would argue that Packet Spotting has not
been good for contesting.  Regardless of
opinions It is too late to ban packet after it has been
used for so many years.

Some would argue that other technologies
that have also been used for many years are not good
for contesting, but it is too late to ban any of them either.

Skimmer is the one stepping-stone technology that will
eventually lead to the replacement of the operator.
It will do something that no operator could ever do -
simultaneously copy every signal on the band.  Although
it is not perfect at this stage, it will become very good
over time.

Skimmer will lead to a substantial change in contesting
in a matter of a few years.  It will become much the same
as RTTY and will look like a computer game and a
not a very good one by today's standards.

Pirates will be calling CQ to see the callsign they used
show up on the Skimmer list, there will be more confusion
and QRM as a result and it will diminish the whole sport.

Arguments that it will bring in new, young contesters
are conjecture at best.  As some have pointed out, those
it brings in will most likely move to a digital mode that
is better than CW.  A very low percentage of those who
start with code readers and Skimmers will bother to learn
the code.  N6TJ is correct in what he has said
regarding those who want the Skimmer crutch.  My opinion
is perhaps even stronger in that regard.

Every other sport says NO to certain developments that
come along in order to preserve the sport.  This is the time
it should happen in CW Contesting.

Stan, K5GO