Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 22:31:07 +0000
> This approach would be compatible with RTTY and PSK contests, and maintain
> the status qso.  When MTTY decodes RTTY callsigns for me one at a time on
> screen on my run frequency, I'd be classed as an 'unassisted' entry as I
> have been for years.  If the scope of the "detection", for RTTY (or for
> CW,
> or SSB) grows in bandwidth to spread up the band, then it would fall into
> the "assisted" category.  That would be achieved via an SDR wide bandwith
> receiver, or the automatic tuning up and down the band via software.  More
> information is presented to the operator than could be gathered by himself
> in the same time. The extra information gathered is very much akin to that
> of the traditional DXCluster.  For SO2R we'd perhaps need to allow 2
> 'spot'
> frequencies for an unassisted operation.

when I run so2r on rtty I can decode 4 streams at once, 2 vfo's on both
radios... I have been known to run 5 radios at once on rtty, so that would
be 10 streams if each were decoding both vfo's... where does that fit, and
how many special rules do we make to allow for it.

and at what bandwidth do you define 'assisted' for a bandscope?  Many radios
have had wide band scopes for years... some cw operators can use 3khz or
wider filters and decode multiple signals, I can't, should they be assisted
because they have better brains where I need hardware assistance??

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net