Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

To: r_bakalov@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer
From: Stan Stockton <k5go@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 13:31:09 -0400
Rudy,

These are my opinions - most have them and mine is
very strong.

In that previous e-mail I stated that no one was wanting
to ban Skimmer.  I am sorry I made that statement because,
after reading everything I have read, my opinion is that it
should be banned from use in CW Contests in ALL categories.

This technology will do something no
operator or crew of operators could ever do
with their own operating abilities (simultaneously
copy every signal on the band) and IMO
is a technology that  will lead to the destruction
of the sport

We might actually attract more people to CW Contesting
if fully automated stations were developed for RTTY
with no operator involvement needed at all.  I suspect
there would then be some who would want to learn to
copy CW and would want to compete in CW Contests,
instead of a computer game if we did ever not let it ever
progress to the point where the basic skill involved
was knowing how to use a computer mouse.

As has been mentioned before by many, including me,
EVERY other organized competitive activity you can think
of has drawn the line to preserve the sport by prohibiting
certain technologies from being used.  Now is the time
it should happen in CW Contesting.

--- Rudy Bakalov <r_bakalov@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Stan,
>
> I am suggesting the possibility that Assisted has outlived its purpose and
> should be replaced a broader category that includes several criteria that
> separates the pros from the amateurs.  It can be as simple as
> self-designation based on a generic description or as complex as a formula
> that assigns points for station features (e.g., SO2R set up, multiple towers,
> use of spotting assistance, etc.)
>
> Rudy N2WQ

I think that handicapping CW Contesters is not a good thing.
Giving someone points for only having one tower
or figuring out how many points to give someone
with one tower and ten rotating antennas on that tower
versus someone with a 3 element tri-bander just won't
work or be very interesting for those who actually want a
competition.  Even where handicapping is somewhat fair,
ask a scratch golfer how interesting it is to play in a golf
tournament using handicaps with a bunch of 18
handicappers in the field.

People could still use their Skimmers, remote
receivers, excessive power, transmit on more than
one frequency on the same band simultaneously, etc.
to make contacts in the contests.  Those activities
should just be against the rules if you are entering
and want to have your results listed or considered
for an award.

Stan, K5GO