Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:37:48 -0400
At 03:03 PM 4/28/2008, Stan Stockton wrote:
>... It seems unreasonable to me to say that we need to allow an innovation
>(leading to automated QSO machines which will replace good operators and
>diminish the sport) because we cannot detect whether they are cheating.

Stan, what I meant - however badly I said it - is that so long as the
technology is fun, and people want to use it,why not let them, particularly
given that you can't police a total ban?

Banning Skimmer from all contests won't materially retard technological
progress.  Another tenfold or so increase in desktop PC power may put what
you describe within reach, but when it does, what's so bad about setting up
an Unlimited class, and letting people measure their robots against the
best humans?

73, Pete N4ZR