Re: [CQ-Contest] CW Skimmer is a crutch

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CW Skimmer is a crutch
From: "Robert Naumann" <w5ov@w5ov.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:15:33 -0500
Paul,

As many have pointed out, we have had CW decoders for a long time. I have
great respect for those who, for whatever reason, cannot operate CW
themselves; but instead, they endure the slowness of these decoder methods
in order to make CW qsos one at a time to the benefit of other CW
contesters.

The issue with skimmer is not replacing one's own ability to copy CW to make
individual qsos. If that is all it did, there would be no debate.

The issue is that you can be operating normally say on 40m, for example, and
have a skimmer running on 20m, another on 15m, and another on 10m. The
skimmers fill the band maps for all those bands with all the callsigns and
frequencies of the stations that can be heard at your location with no
effort expended on your part whatsoever. You might also have skimmer running
on the same band you are operating on, and it is filling your band map with
all the callsigns up and down the band from your running frequency that it
can hear between your transmissions.

Again, the problem is not with it copying CW for you to make one QSO; it is
the harvesting of callsign and frequency information and either displaying
it on a computer screen or filling your band maps with callsign and
frequency information so you can work the qsos it has located and identified
without you doing anything.

Clearly, the use of skimmer is functionally identical as having packet - and
perhaps better - since it only shows you what can be heard at your location.

73,

Bob W5OV