Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimming Along

To: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>, cq-contest reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimming Along
From: Julius Fazekas <phriendly1@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:12:45 -0700 (PDT)
> As for an outright ban, I liken the technology gap
> to a related
> matter of the Pennsylvania Amish (stick with me here
> a minute)
>
> In say 1845, the Amish were not a whole lot
> different technology wise
> than the "English" as they referred to other folks
> here in PA. As
> years went by, as the rest of us adopted more and
> more technology,
> the gap widened, until today, those who practice the
> traditional form
> are completely estranged from the rest of us,
> technology wise.
>
>       side note: Many Amish folk here in PA have adopted
> some modern
> technology, some times in unusual ways so as not to
> violate their
> beliefs - but that is a different issue.

Mike, again, I don't see anyone calling for a ban on
the technology, just the appropriate place for it.
Too, assisted should not be looked down upon as a
category. It's not inferior, it's just a different
approach to the sport.

As to the Amish analogy, they are a thriving group of
communities without the technological sea to wade
through. I would ask, what would you rather have: a
piece of Amish Furniture or the latest pressboard
stuff sold at Walmart?

> rare one. I think that the human running the station
> is sacrosanct,
> and I doubt that anyone wants to make such a
> human-less station.

I'll take that bet. What odds are you giving? ;o)

73,
Julius

Julius Fazekas
N2WN