Re: [CQ-Contest] How many more creative subjects using "skimmer" arether

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How many more creative subjects using "skimmer" arethere?
From: "Steve London" <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 20:55:46 -0600
On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 7:30 PM, Ted Bryant <w4nz@comcast.net> wrote:

> Tree said:
>
> "...When I saw the skimmer demonstrated to me (thanks N6TV), I could see
> that
> he had a file on his laptop that contained a whole band of a contest
> (works
> for both SSB and CW for this)..."
>
> and
>
> "..You could pick and time and a frequency and go listen to someone.
>  Wow!..."
>
> I was not aware that the Skimmer worked for ssb.  Nor did I know that it
> actually recorded what it
> was hearing.  Rather, I thought it merely decoded the cw signals and
> displayed them on a bandmap.
> Was this some even more advanced version Skimmer that was demonstrated?

Skimmer can record the I and Q signals from the SDR to a file, and play them
back later. However, there is other software that can do the same thing,
include the Rocky freeware (also written by VE3NEA). Rocky is also fairly
modest in it's CPU usage, allowing the contest to be recorded on the same
$300, 3.1 GHz computer that I am logging on.

73,
Steve, N2IC