[CQ-Contest] CW Skimmer - Bring it on.

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW Skimmer - Bring it on.
From: "Professional Home Inspections" <Paul@ProHomeInspector.net>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 22:15:56 -0400
I asked a well respected CW big gun about CW Skimmer. This is his answer,
take it for what it's worth, but the last paragraph says it all.

Paul K2DB

1.  We all know (we've gotten the message) that we need to have tight first
IF filters.  The tighter they are, the better we hear AND the less SKIMMER
can do for us.......You have your choice.....listen and copy everything
poorly....IM, strong interference and de-sense but be able to watch all of
the crap and poorly decoded and missed stuff.

OR

Use a tight filter and find that your ear is better than what skimmer is
telling you is on your freq..

2.  Maybe another operating category...single op DSP assist.  having one ear

and one computer is like  using packet.  or just lump it into the packet
category.

Same thing is going on in the EME arena....JT44 isn't like copying real off
the moon.  The diff here is that JT44 works BETTER than the ear.  Skimmer
doesn't and can't.

Bring it on.  The more people use it, the more busted calls will get in the
log and the more their score will be degraded.  It's like sitting there
watching packet cluster instead of tuning band.  It mite appear that your
gaining, but your probably not.

IMHO