Re: [CQ-Contest] How many more creative subjects using"skimmer" arethere

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How many more creative subjects using"skimmer" arethere?
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 22:14:17 -0400
For one thing, there are still many contesters who paper log.  Usually
someone who was just "casually" operating, but not always.

Now you may not agree that this is wise -- I certainly don't, and if you
ever saw my handwriting, you'd know why I say that -- but there are.

By setting a one hour limit, you effectively prevent them from submitting a
log at all.  And these smaller logs are, I am told, very neccesary for log
checking purposes.

Now, you may think "then they ought to get an old computer and a free
logging program!"  That may well be, but don't argue with me about it... ask
them.

And Bob, as I told you privately... another reason is that after spending
the better part of a weekend in the shack, I need some time post-contest to
reaquaint myself with the family, stretch, and generally recover from
fatigue.  Sorry to have to say this, but I'm one of those people who get
tired after a 48 hour contest, and may not be thinking quite clearly at the
end.  So I need some recovery time before reviewing the log prior to sending
it in... mainly to check for obvious typos (transposed letters, zeros for
ohs and vice versa, extraneous spaces in the RS(T) report -- contest robots
hate that -- and so forth).  Otherwise, I will only make or compound
mistakes.

And woe be it to the contester who sends in their log within that hour,
adjourns for the night, and only discovers too late that due to some
unexpected glitch or typo, their log was never received or acknowledged.
"Sorry... the robot's mailbox was filled up in the first 10 minutes, the
next 100 logs may have been missed.  Too bad if you didn't catch it in
time!"  Do you really want to read THAT in a contest summary?

A month may have been adequate 40 years ago.  I would agree that today, a
month is probably too long.  2 weeks, even a week, that's reasonable for
electronic entry.  But one hour?

What's the rush?