Re: [CQ-Contest] Petition to Ban Skimmer

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Petition to Ban Skimmer
From: <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 10:24:51 -0500
Pete's hit the nail on the head on three counts: it is certainly possible some
are overestimating the
impact of skimmer. It is also true that new technology should not be banned.
And it is also true that a
separate, boy-and-his-radio class (no skimmer, no packet, no trained orangutan
(to tune the amp, of
course!) should remain.

I would hope that the people arguing for a ban would give their heads a shake
and realize that the
ONLY reason amateur radio exists at all is for the furtherance of new
technology.

That doesn't mean that new technology should be unleashed into contests
unfettered, but it should not
be banned.

73, kelly
ve4xt