Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer - What shall we do?

To: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>, CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer - What shall we do?
From: Bob Davis <bob@reconstructinghistory.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 21:19:54 -0400
Paul O'Kane wrote:

>> ... isn't skimmer just another technology that really
>>only benefits those with significantly more means to build
>>a contest station?  This is certainly true of SO2R.
>>

>Not true.  SO2R benefits those who, through self-training,
>acquire the necessary skills.

Paul,

While I normally have a high level of respect for your opinion, this is,
simply and respectfully put, bollocks.

Not true?  Do not radios, amplifiers, switchboxes and filters cost
money?  Do not towers and antennas cost money?  Quite the opposite of
being 'not true', it's self-evident to any reasonable person.  That is
to say, if you know of a way for me to build a SO2R station without
these things, please forward the information at once so I can get started!

Sure, SO2R also requires skill.  But if you don't have the dosh to build
what is essentially a second station, all the skill in the world isn't
worth a bucket of warm spit.

Cheerfully,

Bob NQ3X