Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer for S/O in IARU

To: "'Stan Stockton'" <k5go@cox.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer for S/O in IARU
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 19:29:44 -0400
Stan,

> If this doesn't fall within the intent of a spotting net, I
> don't know what does.  The benefit of a local Skimmer is so
> much greater than packet it is not even comparable.  It
> provides spots of EVERY station it hears and only those it
> hears.

Back off and stop letting your prejudices overrule logic.  Local
Skimmers are NOT in any way shape or form a "Spotting net."  They
are not a network, they are not packet and they are not the internet.
what is does and how it does it is completely immaterial - it is a
LOCAL device just like a memory keyer and logging computer.  It
does what the single operator tells it to do and does not make any
autonomous decisions about stations to work, bands to work, multipliers
to work, etc.  Skimmer is simply one more technological tool in the
operator's toolbox.

You may feel that they are an "unfair" technological advantage but
I feel your big antennas are an "unfair" technological advantage.
The argument over what technology is "fair" and what is not "fair"
is getting tiresome ... if you are going to reject, ban, or segregate
one form of technological assistance, ban them all starting with
memory keyers, computer logging, history files, SCP and even big
antennas.

It is tiresome when individuals attempt to selectively block the
advancement of technology out of prejudice and fear.  You and others
in the "No Skimmer" camp lost the "CW by ear" war with the ITU and
FCC years ago.  Now CW is just another digital mode and it will be
decoded by machine as much as by ear ... if someone skilled in that
technology chooses to use it and you chose to ignore it, that's your
choice.  However, if you want a contest that is based entirely on
the ability to copy by ear, move to the high speed code contests
and leave the operating contests to advance with technology as they
have done for 60 years.

The sum of an operator is his ability to integrate ALL of the tools:
technology, experience and operating skill.  A contest measures all
of that - not simply the operator's ability to copy CW by ear.