Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer for S/O in IARU

To: "Julius Fazekas" <phriendly1@yahoo.com>, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>, "'Stan Stockton'" <k5go@cox.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer for S/O in IARU
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 13:34:41 -0500
Julius,

No, the WRTC participants don't have the same stations. They have the same
antennas but it is up to them to provide their own transceivers and
auxiliary equipment (microphones, keyers, computers, software, SO2R
switching, band-filters, etc.). At the event in Brazil, there were a pallet
of amplifiers where each team took one and brought it to their location to
setup.

The point I was trying to make is the WRTC goes beyond pure operator skill.
There's technology they "invent" and bring along from home, there's the
"craft" of quickly assembly of their station, and there's also operator
skill once the event starts.

So to be the top operator(s) in the WRTC it isn't just the best
"operator(s)", it's the ability to design and integrate technology, quickly
setup a station, overcome any problems encountered before and during the
event, AND operator skill during the contest.

I am not aware of any technology limitations placed on these competitors. I
guess it would be a good question whether Skimmer will be allowed in the
2010 WRTC in Russia. I believe the inequities experienced in the Brazil
topography will be less of an issue during this upcoming event.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN