Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer for S/O in IARU

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer for S/O in IARU
From: "Stan Stockton" <k5go@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 23:00:16 -0500
Joe,

> what is does and how it does it is completely immaterial

What's code got to do, got to do with it....What's code, but
an outdated
mode.....Who wants to operate when a computer will do it for
you.

Crap,  now I'll have that tune in my head for the next week
:-))

>You may feel that they are an "unfair" technological
>advantage but
>I feel your big antennas are an "unfair" technological
>advantage.
>The argument over what technology is "fair" and what is not
>"fair"
>is getting tiresome ... if you are going to reject, ban, or
>segregate
>one form of technological assistance, ban them all starting
>with
>memory keyers, computer logging, history files, SCP and
>even big
>antennas.

Please let me keep my antennas.  I will go along with doing
away with
all the other stuff. :-)).

I do not think Skimmer is an unfair advantage and have never
made the statement
that it is an unfair advantage. EVERYONE who wants to
compete will use it
if it is allowed and they have time when it is announced to
be allowed.  Within
about 24 hours of thinking it was needed at my station for
WPX it was implemented
thanks to a friend who had a SDR.

>Now CW is just another digital mode and it will be
>decoded by machine as much as by ear ... if someone skilled
>in that
>technology chooses to use it and you chose to ignore it,
>that's your
>choice.

Having seen it used in a major contest, I'm having a really
hard time trying
to imagine where any skill comes into play in using Skimmer
technology.

> The sum of an operator is his ability to integrate ALL of
> the tools:
> technology, experience and operating skill.  A contest
> measures all
> of that - not simply the operator's ability to copy CW by
> ear.

I personally witnessed an operator's skill in finding
stations to work
go completely by the wayside and be replaced with the
"skill"
of clicking on a spot with a mouse.  I was truly saddened,
knowing
this is the first skill to go away and there are many others
that will follow.

BTW, Skimmer is really cool and impressive - about as
impressive as a
machine throwing a curve ball that breaks 2 1/2 feet.
However, I am pretty
sure I am a part of the vast majority who are more impressed
with a person
who can throw that curve ball than the guy who flips the
swtich to turn on the
machine that was built to do the same thing more
efficiently.

Joe - I'm sorry I got sucked into debating this with you
again.  Let's just agree on
one thing and that is that we disagree on almost everything
having to do with this subject.

73...Stan,  K5GO