Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge
From: "Paul J. Piercey" <p.piercey@nl.rogers.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 19:22:02 -0000
OK, I'll take a shot at it.

This is a hard one because there is so much that needs to be defined and
spelled out these days. I took a basic approach to not direct my efforts so
much at CW Skimmer but to try to streamline the general rules. Anyway,
here's my stab at it. It's not perfect but nothing will ever be.

1.      Operators

                - Single Operator

                        - One operator

                                - physically located at the station site or
                                - singularly operating the station remotely
and
                                - doing all station functions
                                - using any number of radios physically
located at the station site
                                - using any permitted technology available
                                - transmitting one (1) signal at a time
                                - with no time limit on band changes

                - Multi-operator

                        - One operator

                                - physically located at the station site or
                                - singularly operating the station remotely
and
                                - using any number of radios physically
located at the station site
                                - using any permitted technology and/or
permitted technical influence available
                                - transmitting one (1) or more signals at a
time
                                - with no time limit on band changes

                        - multiple operators

                                - physically located at the station site
and/or
                                - operating the station remotely and
                                - using any number of radios physically
located at the station site
                                - using any permitted technology and/or
permitted technical influence available
                                - transmitting one (1) or more signals at a
time
                                - with no time limit on band changes

2.      Power Output

                - QRP

                        - Power output to a maximum of 5 W per band/mode of
operation.

                - Low Power

                        - Power output to a maximum of 200 W per band/mode
of operation.

                - High Power

                        - Power output to a maximum of 1500 W per band/mode
of operation.

3.      Definitions

Permitted Technology is defined as any device that is located at the station
site, operated by the operator without any influence from any outside
source.

Permitted Technical Influence is defined as the use of information or
support requested and provided to the operator, in real-time, from another
individual or device that is not located at the station site. It also
includes the use of a spotting network or networked data decoding device
(ie. CW Skimmer or any further permutation thereof) which is not controlled
by the operator. It does not relate to the viewing of a website which
provides a running contest score or propagation prediction information.

Station Site is defined as the area within a 500ft radius circle or
completely contained within the boundary of the licenced operator's
contiguous property. It does not include any equipment used to facilitate
the operation of the equipment by remote means or permitted technical
influence.

Station is defined as all equipment located at the station site.

4.      Robot Stations

All contacts made in a contest must be the result of real-time human action.
No unmanned or robot stations are permitted.

Notice what's missing?? That's right.... no "Assisted" crap at all. You're
either a single-op or a multi-op and you have 3 power levels to choose from.
Get rid of the Assisted category and I think you'd eliminate a lot of
problems. One less major thing to define or mis-interpret.

Yes, I know that Permitted Technical Influence is a bit open, but if you
simplify what it is, you shouldn't have to worry about what it isn't.

73 -- Paul VO1HE

PS - I reserve the right to be totally wrong, or change my mind at any time,
on any point.