Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge

To: "cq-contesting cq-contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge
From: "Tom Haavisto" <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:29:05 -0400
Perhaps we are looking too hard for an answer.  Prior to the advent of
Skimmer, we were (largely) happy with how we defined SO(U) and SO(A), and we
arrived at these two categories over an extended period of time..  Perhaps
the following might be a way to address this issue:

Rename SO(U) to SO Classic, with a date of 2007 (predates Skimmer).  It
would allow for technology that existed up to and including 2007.  It would
also state the Packet and other assistance is not allowed.

Rename SO(A) to SO Unlimited.  Any new technology that comes along gets
pushed off into his category.  For example, lets assume voice skimmer
happens in a few years – it goes into this category.  I think this would
also address the issue of "What is assisted?", and the effort to define such
assistance.  Rather, it permits the operator to use whatever level of
technology he/she prefers in their contesting efforts., and competes against
similarly equipped operators.

I can see in coming years when SO(Classic) will go away as "old timers"
become SKs, and the assumption is that "new" contesters will not be
attracted to this category of competition.  At the present time, SO is a
highly competitive category with plenty of interest, and for the foreseeable
future.  Based on comments here and elsewhere, there is considerable
interest in seeing this category continue to exist in its current form (sans
Skimmer).

Tom - VE3CX