Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge

To: "'Kelly Taylor'" <ve4xt@mts.net>, "'Randy Thompson'" <k5zd@charter.net>, "'CQ-Contest@contesting. com'" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge
From: "Ed Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:39:04 -0700
I suggest two enhancements to Kelly's wording:

1.  "receipt" should be replaced by "receipt and usage", because one has no
control over another station coming on the run frequency and volunteering
that VY1JA is on 14217.  However, this "unavoidably received" information is
not used by operators who want to remain squeaky clean as "unassisted".

2.  "Spotting information" should have a time element attached.  That is,
only spots from within the contest period.  Otherwise, the wording below
will include such things as operating patterns based on prior contests,
e.g., VY1JA was on 14217, 14227 or 14237 between 22-00Z in previous
contests.  I don't think we want to cast the restriction that wide.

The biggest issue is how "passive receipt" will be interpreted by readers of
the rule.  First off, it needs to include other humans, not just
technologies.  Second, I'm not satisfied that it adequately describes the
prohibited assistance in acquiring QSO partners.  Unfortunately, I haven't
come up with a better alternative, which just supports Randy's comment about
the difficulty in writing rules.

73,
Ed - W0YK