Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge

To: "'cq-contesting cq-contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge
From: "Sherman Banks" <w4atl@shermanbanks.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:18:00 -0400
I think what we (the not so smart people according to VE4XT), are looking
for is consistency in the arguments.

Packet spotting was banned for SO because other operators are feeding the SO
with information on the location of stations. This is a correct
interpretation since a SO should not be getting assistance from others
operators.

With Skimmer we now hear that it is automated spotting of calls and decoding
CW that provides an unfair level of assistance.  Since there are no
additional operators providing these call signs and all of the equipment
used for Skimmer is within the station circle, then it must be the
technology that people are opposed to.

But automated encoding of CW by a computer is OK. So is the Super Check
Partial that is made from thousands of other operators. The anti-Skimmer
crowd needs to draw the line on where technology should not be allowed. It
appears that the line being drawn is in the decoding of CW since most
everyone feels that automated CW encoding is OK. But there were no gripes
about the Writelog CW decoder - another inconsistency example.

To me, the pro-Skimmer crowd has been more consistent with the intent of SO
and the original packet ban. The anti-skimmer crowd seems to be more vocal
making the numbers appear larger but I need to see some consistency in the
argument against using computer assistance and where the line is drawn in
that assistance.